Word and page numbering mystery - Help, anyone?

Subject: Word and page numbering mystery - Help, anyone?
From: Carla Lotito <lotitoc -at- BERCLAIN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 16:02:10 -0400

Disclaimer: I know this is not a Word users list. I know there's a Word list
and I belong to it, but no one has answered. Since most of us techwriters
need to solve this kind of page numbering mystery, it seems this question
and the answer would be of interest to this list.

So, here we go... Help, anyone? (and no, I can't switch to Frame - I just
converted the document from Frame to Word because... that's just the way
life is!)

CLUES: Word 7, Windows 95. I have a master document with subdocuments. I
also have a continuous section break on a table inside a macro in order to
bring the paragraph style number step1 back to 1.

Example:

ROW 1 Mouse 1.
2.
--------------------continous section break
ROW 2 Key 1.
2.

My page numbering restarts at 1 in each chapter.

MYSTERY: With the continous section break, Word adds a new section and it
skips sections. This causes the page numbering to do bizarre things...

Even page section 18 page 2
Even page section 20 page 2 Same as previous
Odd page section 21 page 3 Same as previous
Even page section 24 page 2 Same as previous
Even page

When I try to do Insert Page number and change to continue from previous
section the page number does not change.

CHALLENGE:
anyone have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong or what is going on? How can I
solve this page numbering mystery? How can I find the missing sections?

I really hope you can help. Any Word Wizards out there?

Carla

Carla Lotito
Sainte-Foy, Quebec
lotitoc -at- berclain -dot- com
PS. Have you ever wondered in Word how to have a table of contents entry
without page numbers such as:
Chapter 1 (TOC1)
Getting Started.......................1 (TOC2)

The answer: "push" the number off the page by setting the tab to a margin
larger than the page and no tab leaders.