Re: sanity check and intangibles

Subject: Re: sanity check and intangibles
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 11:33:25 -0700

>>Do you know what a
>>veliger is? I didn't, and wanted to change it to a better-understood term
>>(a larval mollusk; now you know!!). Then I found out my audience knew
>>veligers from mollusks like I know my phone number. What I would've
>>thought was helpful would've been perceived as patronizing.

>Thus, by not defining the word, you limit the
>future use of the document or the potential distribution of the document to
>populations familiar with "veliger" -- in this case, concentrated primarily
>in the great lakes region. So, where do we draw the line?

Providing a glossary solves the problem nicely without offending
the knowledgeable reader or slighting the novice. We've got lots
of devices in our collective bags-o-tricks -- like glossaries,
callouts, margin notes. Use them when you need to satisfy more
than just one audience. They work.

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com
-- The _Guide_ is definitive.