Re: Sanity check

Subject: Re: Sanity check
From: Brad Connatser <cwrites -at- USIT -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 21:16:09 GMT

In article <s2219215 -dot- 006 -at- wpo -dot- hass -dot- usu -dot- edu>, David Hailey
<FAHAILEY -at- wpo -dot- hass -dot- usu -dot- edu> wrote:

> BUT (excuse me for shouting) it seems to me that important
> secondary purposes include things such comforting,
> encouraging; convincing the user that the software
> developer, the software, and the user are all members on a
> highly successful team.

Speaking as a technical writer that has nothing whatsoever to do with help
files except use them, I really don't pay attention to the rhetorical
style unless something jumps out at me (for instance, if the help-file
narrator were to refer to me as "hey, partner!"). Anyway, when I resort to
a help file, I need information quick. The only time I make a judgement
about the software company (not necessarily the developer) is when I can't
find the information I need quickly. I think that words of comfort and
encouragement would probably just be a distraction.
Brad

--
Brad Connatser
Concurrent Communications