Re: Acrobat/Folio comparison....Long

Subject: Re: Acrobat/Folio comparison....Long
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -at- ENVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:23:30 -0500

Bill, List,

While the Adobe Acrobat Exchange Reader is free, the version of Acrobat
Exchange with the Verity search engine (for full text and Boolean search
capabilities) is not.

The Full blown Adobe Acrobat Exchange is not freely distributable, and
costs on the order of $25-$75 per license depending upon the quantity
ordered. There is a Search for CD ROMS, but I didn't think that was the
same engine as the Verity plugin. Bill can follow up with those details.

Now, if you want to buy the Software Developer's kit, and the Verity search
engine separately, then build your own viewer based on the SDK (which is
the exchange source so that you can either integrate your software or
customize the Exchange interface some other way), that will run you
approximately $5000.

We looked into Adobe Exchange as a way to distribute Research Reports
online to our personnel at my old place of employment (8 months ago).
Because we had a "workstation" that was a collection of applications that
provided all our employees needed to do their job, we wanted integration
within that workstation. This meant we had to use the SDK. We did, and it
worked out great so far.

As to Bill's discussion on doubting Folio's speed on a 2x CD... you have a
good point, what is speed when the device is as slow as a 1 or 2x cdrom
drive. However, in the scenario that you described (100,000 plus "pages"
of documents), on a 4x cdrom lets say, doing a full-text search of all
documents, or just sub documents, Folio will be faster. You can check out
the PCWEEK Labs review of online document publishing systems from last June
I think it was, and it has the facts to back it up. Also, I've Catalog'ed a
ton of documents, putting them into separate indexes, etc. It is slower
than the rate you prescribed, even over a LAN. Especially when you put in
stop words to limit the index (which should in fact speed it up!). And the
size of the documents is on average enormous compared to a Folio Infobase
with the same info in it.

Bill you'd also asked whether the Folio Viewer is free, or if you have to
pay for it... you have to pay... but they have a separate rate for the type
of licenses you're talking about with CDROM distribution. (They actually
have a publishing kit for building CDROM's that builds the reader into the
document.)It is comparable to the full Acrobat Exchange license.

In a desktop/office environment, you could implement the Folio Web Server,
and then only have to buy the authoring kits. That way, you can distribute
a web browser to your desktops and view the documentation there, with all
of the search features of Folio from within your favorite web browser
(Which, while you can read a PDF file from within a browser, you can't
search it yet, you have to start Exchange to do that).

Don't want to turn this into a "my tool is better than yours" argument.
Just want to point out to the TECHWR-l'rs info chunks stuck in this here
cranium that others might benefit from. To close, there are applications
for both tools. As I said, I use Acrobat almost daily. I like it a lot,
because it goes across platforms and is very easy to use. However, I don't
believe for a second that it is the be-all end-all in online text
publishing systems. There are other products. And, Folio is more
expensive up front, But, if your budget can stand it, don't count out
Folio. It is a really quality tool.

regards,
Bill Bledsoe
Technical Communicator
Envision Solutions
SQA MGR/Process Lead
bill -at- envision -dot- com
or
intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

"I'm out on a limb where the fun begins"
Adrian Belew/The Bears