Re: Manuals Written in Non-American English (in two parts)

Subject: Re: Manuals Written in Non-American English (in two parts)
From: Mayumi Nishioka <IM3M-NSOK -at- ASAHI-NET -dot- OR -dot- JP>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 22:10:48 +0900

Sandra Charker <scharker -at- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au> wrote:

[snip]
>And I still don't understand why "I'd appreciate"
>is intrinsically more difficult for a person to translate than "I
>would appreciate". I *can* see that it might be a problem for machine
>translation because the "would" carries information about tense and
>voice, but what about "don't" versus "do not". Aren't they just
>synonyms? Why not? Mayum, can you explain further?
[snip]

What I really had on my mind was "abbreviations," not "contractions."
Sorry for this confusion. The document I had just finished
translating included some abbreviations that were not spelled out
anywhere in the document. I couldn't find them in dictionaries
because they were too new (I think). So I clicked the browser icon
and searched on the web. I found most of them, but one remained
unlearned. I left it as was in the translation, i.e., in the
alphabet, hoping the translation agent or client, either of whom I
hoped was better informed in the field than I, could find out what it
was. Well the abbreviation could be one that everybody in the field
should be familiar with, but I was not sure.

----

Mayumi Nishioka, Wakayama, Japan
Technical Translator
im3m-nsok -at- asahi-net -dot- or -dot- jp