Re: Advice Request re- Mac T

Subject: Re: Advice Request re- Mac T
From: Tom Neuburger <Tom_Neuburger -at- LTX-TR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 10:49:32 -0600

Reply to: RE>Advice Request re: Mac Tool for 150-page Manual/Online
Help

Gregg,

Your message:------------------------

I am about to start a techwriting contract with a small software company,
documenting a new CASE tool being developed for international distribution.
I need to tell them what techwriting tool I want them to buy for the
Macintosh that they will be providing for my use. I need to come to a
decision early in September.

(1) The project will involve quite a few screen captures but probably few
other graphics (maybe some proprietary icons from the program).

(2) Cost should probably be kept below $500.00 if possible, even though on a
project like this, clearly, an argument can be made for spending twice that,
or even more, if it will ensure better quality or require *significantly*
less of my time (I won't enjoy making such an argument but I will if it's
there to be made!).

(3) The manual will be broken into several chapters with independent page
numbering, but of course there needs to be an index and TOC.

------------------------
Gregg Roberts
groberts -at- tpoint -dot- net
Austin, TX USA
------------------------

I would use Frame in a minute, but I'm really familiar with
the program. It does everything you want easily.

The price for the job ($500) surprises me.
It seems awfully low. (Or is that the price for
the software they would have to buy?) If that's
your fee, hopefully this won't take longer than a
week or two to produce.

Buying and learning FrameMaker for these kinds of
jobs is not a bad idea--again, comments from an
enthusiast.

Good luck with the contract.

Tom Neuburger