Re: Portfolios

Subject: Re: Portfolios
From: "Julie A. E. Tholen" <tholeja -at- ANUBIS -dot- NETWORK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:53:52 CDT

>> Anushree Tewari wrote:

> During my short career I have worked on quite a few projects....>
How do I compile a portfolio?

Ahh, portfolios...

When I was in grad school, one of my profs made us compile two 3-ring binders.
The first contained handouts, articles, and general items of interest to an
instructional designer/trainer. The second was a portfolio. Our portfolio
contained smaller projects; procedures; needs analysis and any other interest-
ing work we had done.

Because I had done a fair amount techncial writing, I included examples of
the different projects/documentation that I had worked on or created.

When I went out on my first job interviews, this portfolio should what I could
do; the interviewer didn't just have rely upon my resume for information.

I've kept up my portfolio over the years. Now it extends to three binders, one
for TW, one for ID, and one for Training. I have a very nice little leather
3-ring binder into which I put the appropriate type of documentation for the
interview. I make duplicate copies of the samples, as people often want to
keep copies, in plastic sleeves.

The response to the portfolio has been one of pleasant surprize. If the inter-
viewer doesn't ask to see it, I suggest that may wish to review it as we
discuss my experience. The use of the portfolio helps to set my interview out
in the interviewer's mind.

Hints on keeping a portfolio:
Samples shouldn't be too long.
Samples are relevant to the job at hand.
(or a good spectrum of your experience)
Have duplicate copies of your samples.
The portfolio should be
in chronological order
well organized
professional in appearance.
Use appropriate, creative graphics to add interest.

It may be a lot of work to maintain. But I have found it to be well worth the
effort.

Jules "Life is short. Eat dessert first"
(J.A.E. Tholen) Network Systems Corporation
612.391.1354 7600 Boone Avenue North
tholeja -at- anubis -dot- network -dot- com Minneapolis, MN 55428