Re: Portfolios

Subject: Re: Portfolios
From: Williams Diane <Williams_Diane -at- DOTE -dot- OSD -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:19:59 -0400

The thread on 'portfolios' caught my attention and I would like to know
how one compiles a portfolio and what should be its contents?

One hears of writing samples. Are these short pieces extracted from a
previously done work (manual, help, etc.) or does one specifically write
them?

During my short career I have worked on quite a few projects, some big
and some small, in various capacities from writing to supervising to
usability consulting/testing.

Now the question: How do I compile a portfolio?

Someone else had a good answer for this a while back: Create a portfolio
of original pieces as an artist would (color tear sheets from books or
magazines or reports, etc.) that you can show to prospective employers;
but send or bring photocopied examples to leave off, which you probably
wouldn't get back. I have gotten back some of my work samples. I don't
know if that means the employer is conscientious of the expense of
making copies, or that the employer knows I'll never work at that
company! ;-)