Re: Searchable HTML documents

Subject: Re: Searchable HTML documents
From: Kelly Leydon <kelly -dot- leydon -at- AMP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 08:48:39 -0400

Natalie,

Regarding your questions about searchable HTML documents, my 2 cents worth:

Most of our print documents have been or will be converted to either
HTML or PDF format for online viewing and searching. After a somewhat
extensive testing period (we tested Cyberleaf, Webmaker, Microsoft
Internet Assistant, HotMetalPro, and Webworks) we chose Webworks by
Quadralay to do our document conversions to HTML and Adobe Acrobat Pro
to create our PDF files (obviously). This combination of Webworks and
Acrobat provides us with options for documents based on how they will be
used. Specifically helpful is Webworks ability to split a document
into separate HTML files based on a heading designation. Also, we have
automated our PDF generation process using subdirectories called "In" and
"Out" and having Acrobat read these directories at certain times of the
day and convert any PS files found in the "In" directory and place the
PDF file in the "Out" directory. I almost never touch Acrobat.

Both options provide search capabilities, however going to HTML requires
a little more work.

Sorry for rambling on, good luck.

Kelly