Re: Tech Writers in the UK

Subject: Re: Tech Writers in the UK
From: Sara Edlington <sara -at- ARAS -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:16:47 +0100

Hi,

>> For family reasons, I will be moving to The North in England (somewhere
>> in striking distance of Sheffield) and I have the usual questions about
>> looking for work in a place I don't know anything about:

I live in Doncaster, about 30 miles from Sheffield, and I visit there
quite often. I'm a freelance writer by trade, but I write some technical
material in with that.

>> 1. Can anyone recommend reputable recruitment agencies or good employers?

Generally, or for round the Sheffield area?

>> 2. What salaries can an experienced writer hope for?

A lot less than you're probably getting at the moment :) There are quite a
few games companies in Sheffield and a few computer places. Most of the
technical writers I know round here, work freelance.

>> 4. Are there cultural differences I should be sensitive to as I look for
>> a job there? Is the computer industry there much like the computer
>> industry here?

If you come to Sheffield, or really South Yorks in general, prepare for a
bit of a culture shock. Its a tough area, and no one suffers fools gladly.
That said, we're a friendly bunch :)

I don't know what the computer industry is like over the pond, but here,
there is a shortage of well skilled people. Especially in areas like
Sheffield. Not sure if any of this will be any help, but if I can help at
all, then please feel free to write back.

Sara Edlington