User Interface Design

Subject: User Interface Design
From: Karen Mayer/Touch Technology <Karen_Mayer/Touch_Technology%TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY -at- NOTESGW -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 10:47:17 -0500

Hi again!

I'm struggling (again? still?) with some of the ways things are done at my
company. The thing that has me concerned most these days is what I consider to
be a very poor user interface design. It irks me that we tech writers were not
consulted on the design in the first place, and now we have what used to be a
prototype that just evolved into the final product. And it's embarrassingly,
frustratingly inadequate.

I wonder how many of you software documenters are consulted in the user
interface design process. Do you have a lot of input? Do you have any
guidelines for what constitutes a good UI design? I've got some ideas for a
better UI, but I haven't much training or education (self-inflicted or formal)
in UI design. Can you recommend any books?

TIA for your help. If you want to reply directly to me, you can find me at

kmayer%touch_technology -at- notesgw -dot- compuserve -dot- com
or
kmayer -at- syspac -dot- com

Cheers,

Karen