Re: Online-only documents

Subject: Re: Online-only documents
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 17:49:30 -0500

>----------

Typically, a short getting started and/or installation instructions are
supplied in hardcopy. In the case of an operating system, a hardcopy
installation seems mandatory. Most online guides can be run independent
of the application. Often, the online guide is executable from the
program group. Therefore, installation instructions can still be online
whether or not the application has been installed.

On a side note, setups are getting easier. Much of the software can
decipher your system configuration, software, and hardware. Setup
wizards perform many of today's software installations (I realize that
some software has complicated installations - especially some UNIX-based
applications). The wizard typically has an online installation guide.
Usually at each setup screen the user can get help. Basically, most
installation instructions consist of, "insert disk 1, type
<drive>:\setup, and follow the instructions" or "insert the CD. The
installation wizard will start automatically and guide you through the
installation".

Mike Wing