Noon

Subject: Noon
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:16:03 -0400

David Hailey writes:
>By the way. . . a professional puzzle. If you call evening
>P.M., and you call the morning A.M., and you call midnight
>P.M., what is noon?

Noon is neither before nor after itself. I usually write "noon". If, for
some reason, I write 12:00 I make sure that the context clarifies my meaning.

Midnight can be dangerously ambiguous. I have seen 2359hrs or 0001hrs
substituted in military contexts (in both cases with the day of the month
prefixed). I don't know if this is a NATO ruling, or just a custom in some
units.

David (the idiot) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
133 Wilton St, #506, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5A 4A4
Phone (416) 363-6692 Fax (416) 363-4987

Fiat justitia et pereat mundus (Let justice be done, though the world
perish) -- Motto of Ferdinand I (1503-64), Holy Roman Emperor from 1558