How would you cite a site? & Midnight

Subject: How would you cite a site? & Midnight
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:10:06 EST

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Anita/Jeff Fite <ajfite -at- MAIL -dot- TELIS -dot- ORG> asked:

> ... is there an accepted way to cite a web site?

The bright Ms. Fite is right to bring this to light. To cite a site can be
quite a sight. One way is a fright:

www.primenet.com:80/~insite/

Another is a delight:

http://www.primenet.com:80/~insite/

Why fight? This might be quite all right.

***

On the same momentous day, David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU> asked:

> By the way. . . a professional puzzle. If you call evening
> P.M., and you call the morning A.M., and you call midnight
> P.M., what is noon?

Midnight is not P.M., midnight is just midnight -- 12 midnight if one must make
it absolutely clear that this is a specific time, not just a period of the
night. The puzzle for me is what day it belongs to, the one before midnight or
the one after.

Noon doesn't have that problem. It also shouldn't be used with A.M. or P.M.
And it too doesn't need to have a "12" added to it unless one's readers might
otherwise interpret "noon" as "midday" -- another animal altogether.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(never, ever speaking for BNA)