Re: Word to Frame

Subject: Re: Word to Frame
From: Randy Grandle <randy -dot- grandle -at- CORP -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 01:07:44 GMT

In article <4ulsiu$4rd -at- sundial -dot- sundial -dot- net>, amatkins -at- sundial -dot- net wrote:

>I need some basic direction in moving from Word (v. 6 & 7) to
>FrameMaker. I noticed that Frame does not convert all Word files? Any
>known reason for this? I have the most recent version from Adobe.
>Also, it does not convert any cross references and field codes. Is
>there a way?

The Frame online manual, _Using Frame Filters_, provides details about
converting files from Word to Frame. Online manuals are available from the
Frame Help menu.

Some Word features are unsupported in Frame and must be re-created. Other
features require manual reformatting and clean up after conversion. The only
way to know for sure is to convert some representative files and see how much
clean up is required.

To make the process go as smoothly as possible:

* Before conversion, create a template in Frame that matches the Word
template as closely as possible. For example, create paragraph
formats that match the Word paragraph styles verbatim.

* After conversion, use macros to automate as much of the clean up as
possible.

Hope this helps.

Randy Grandle