Listowner on Postings and Job Postings and Lurking

Subject: Listowner on Postings and Job Postings and Lurking
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:10:36 PDT

Gang,
Just a couple of comments. I've been swamped and haven't
had time to address some of the recent concerns, but felt
I had to kick in my considered opinion on a couple
of issues.

First the easy one: Technical writing related
job postings are fine. No problem, regardless of
who posts them. A couple of qualifications:
The job postings should be clearly labeled as
such, complete with location, in the subject line.
They should be brief and concise.
Finally, if recruiters are reading this, the
sense that I've gotten is that multiple messages
in one day or messages that look like spam
generally aren't going to get the attention
you want. I know that I deleted unread the flurry
from last week.

The harder one:
--- On Wed, 7 Aug 1996 "Daniel E. Wise" <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM> wrote:
>Some of you may have an ax to grind concerning STC, but give me a
>break! Use what passes for your brain. STC is not a trade union. It
>is an organization of people who claim to be professionals. Some
>actually are. Others are wannabes. Still others are like the 2000 or
>so who lurk on this list and never have anything worthwhile to
>contribute.

This sort of posting is completely unacceptable on techwr-l.
Regardless of anyone's perspective on STC, this list isn't the
place for personal attacks of any sort, retail or wholesale.
Dan, if _you_ need to grind an axe about STC, do it off line.

And, I find the comment about the "2000 or so who lurk"
incredibly offensive. Many techwr-l subscribers contribute
significantly and in a very "worthwhile" manner through
off-line messages or other contributions. I know that I
often respond offline to requests for information, rather
than slamming the whole list with something that seems more
appropriate for a personal message. If that makes me
one of those who "never have anything worthwhile" to
contribute, I'm happy to join that club!

There's no requirement that anyone post anything to
benefit from TECHWR-L. Lurking and learning is quite as
acceptable as posting useful messages daily, and both
are far preferable to publically insulting the vast majority
of TECHWR-L subscribers.

Eric