Re: Technical Writing: a Calling?!?

Subject: Re: Technical Writing: a Calling?!?
From: Shmuel Ben-Artzi <sba -at- NETMEDIA -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 11:11:33 +0200

Robert,

There's a broad semantic gulf in this instance between the use of the terms
"rare exceptions" and "sometimes". The Vehicle Code of the State of
California (to give one example) contains thousands of laws which form the
normative "rules of the road". Just because a judge might rule that, given
an extraordinary situation with special circumstances, a driver quite
properly violated one of those rules *in that specific instance* does not
imply that the Vehicle Code, as a normative standard, is "cockeyed".

Most societies, most western societies at least, generally go on the
principle that "the exception proves the rule". This is a far cry from
saying that "the exception invalidates the rule".

And BTW, it was not my intention to "defend" Moshe. From what I've seen of
his postings, he is capable of quite adequately defending his own positions.
My intent was to lend my own support to the "concept" of the invisible writer.

Shmuel Ben-Artzi
sba -at- netmedia -dot- net -dot- il