Re: Naming conventions

Subject: Re: Naming conventions
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:24:11 HST

To me:
A "screen" is the full display area, that may contain more than one window. A
"screen" is part of the user's interface to the computer.
A "window" is a (usually framed) subarea of the screen that belongs to a
particular program and exists as long as that program is running. A "window" is
the user's main interface with a program on the computer.
A "dialog" is a sub-window that belongs to a particular program but exists only
as long as the user is using whatever function of the program is associated
with that dialog, e.g., a wordprocessor's dialog box for setting page margins.
A "dialog" is the user's interface to a particular feature/function of a
program.

What do other folk think? Particularly about the distinction between "screen"
(the monitor) and "screen" (what you see on the monitor). I try to use
"display" only as a verb, to reduce confusion.

JFOA.
David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com

DISCLAIMER:
The views described herein are the views of the author, and
do not represent the views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate, nor is there any approval or authorization of
this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate. If you suspect that any of the material in
this message or attachements thereto is in violation of a
copyright, please notify the Webmaster immediately by e-mail
at "Webmaster -at- ksbe -dot- edu".

From: mtownley @ CGRO.COM (Meredith Townley) @ Internet @ DATAHUB
Date: 08/06/96 10:37:57 AM
Subject: Naming conventions

There has been a small debate in the office over how "screens" should be =
referenced in the documentation. I'm curious as to what others call =
what I refer to as screens. The debate includes calling them screens, =
dialogs, and windows. What is the norm or proper term and are the three =
terms above the same?

Meredith Townley, Technical Writer
Mtownley -at- Cgro -dot- com