Writing tests

Subject: Writing tests
From: Thom Remington <remingtf -at- ENGG-MAIL -dot- LVS -dot- DUPONT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 10:15:05 -0400

When I applied for my present position, which is my first and only TW
position, I was already employed by the company. The positions were posted
internally, and the first step in applying was a written response. We had to
respond electronically by means of a rather long form.

I treated that application form as a writing test. I don't know when I've
worked harder on a relatively short document. My boss has since told me that
I was right, that they used those applications as a writing test. They were,
in fact, able to weed out more 2/3 of the applicants just from that form.

Bottom line: treat anything from a prospective employer as a test. They've
got some tough decisions to make. Virtually all personnel decisions are
based on inadequate information, so they'll use whatever information is
available!