Certification Designator

Subject: Certification Designator
From: Bill Hartzer <XBJH%mimi -at- MAGIC -dot- ITG -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 07:59:57 -0500

I have one quick question:

_IF_ the certification goes through and STC has a certification program,
what would you like to see as an official designator?

For example, would it be:

William J. Hartzer, CTW ====> for Certified Technical Writer

or

William J. Hartzer, S.T.C. ====> for Society for Technical
Communication (Film/movies has
A.S.C. for American Society
of Cinematographers and actors have
S.A.G. for Screen Actors Guild)

Does anyone have any other suggestions? That's all I could think of...
Also, should we even have an official 'designator'? If so, why? And
if not, why not? Is this just something that we can add to our
business cards to look flashy or will the general public accept it and
know what it means right away? It seems as if our profession is having
a hard enough time getting people to know what a technical writer even
does. Can we fully expect them (the general public) to even know what
a 'designator' means? I know people who are familiar with technical
writing will know what it means, but how can we inform the 'general
public' about what it would mean and what we do?

Regards,
Bill Hartzer Bill Hartzer
Contract Tech Writer President
Texas Instruments, Inc. Highfield Marketing Group, Inc.
Dallas, TX USA Irving, TX USA
xbjh -at- msg -dot- ti -dot- com Highfield -at- aol -dot- com
(214) 575 - 2041 (800) 664 - 3251 toll free
(214) 798 - 2976 voice pager (214) 506 - 0111 fax
"Highfield Marketing Group, Inc. is the proud maker of the CD-ROM
TalentBank(tm), an electronically searchable resume database full of
quality professionals in the computer, high-tech, and technical writing
industries. Never a fee for applicants. Employers and recruiters
can search thousands of resumes electronically on their desktops while
applicants can reach thousands of employers with their resume."