Re: Writing tests

Subject: Re: Writing tests
From: "Glanbrok, Slayer of Bluntskulls" <conehead -at- OVERTHE -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 10:46:40 -0400

Jerolynn Cochrane wrote:

A prospective employer has indicated that I may have to take a "writing
test". Pretty big bucket!
If you have examples of these tests, or care to share your experiences with
the same, from either an employer or employee perspective, I would be grateful.

I recently applied for a job and was given an editing test. It was easy -- spelling, usage, distinguishing homonyms, recasting awkward and wordy sentences, etc. It took about 20 minutes, although they allotted an hour. When I finished, the manager was visibly discomfited that I was turning it in early. He said something to the effect that if you're given an hour to finish a task, you should take the entire hour, even if that means checking and rechecking your work.

So I learned as much about that organization as they learned about my editorial skills!