Re: Online vs. Hardcopy documentation

Subject: Re: Online vs. Hardcopy documentation
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 13:22:26 -0500

>----------

His question to me was "what I did I mean by artistic?". In my
statement, I meant just simply "page layout and formatting". In no way
am I saying that correctness of language is all that there is to
effective communication; otherwise, we wouldn't need tables, charts,
graphics, document design, and so forth.

He also asked me to look at his signature file to expound on his
question. I did. There I found references only to correctness of
language. Therefore, I focused my question on the medium changing the
correctness of language. I am not asking if correctness of language is
all that is needed for communication. Instead, I am asking "does the
medium in which the language appear change the correctness of the
language itself?". Design limitations between the mediums is an
interesting discussion itself. There I feel that the product drives the
type of documentation that best suits it.

Mike Wing