Do you do QA?

Subject: Do you do QA?
From: Steve Shewchuk <sshewchu -at- IGOR -dot- UWI -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 08:43:36 -0700

Karen said:

>My coworker and I were recently informed that we were expected to perform QA
>functions in addition to our writing responsibilities, and that QA engineers
>would also be responsible for writing end-user documentation. In our combined
>25+ years of experience, we have never been asked to do such a thing. We do not
>have the training to do real QA testing.

I say:

Well, my company develops software. As a natural extension of learning to
use that software so that I can document it, yes, I do QA. I also talk to
the programmers about other issues involved in the production of the
software: ease of use, functionality, aesthetics, language, etc.

One of my co-workers said something to me once that made a lot of sense:
"If its really hard to document, there's probably something wrong with the
way its set up in the first place." Seems to be a fairly reasonable
assumption, given that we're striving to make software that is both
functional and easy to use.

But then, this is a smallish company, and there can be a fair bit of
overlap in jobs at times. My first week or two here were spent doing QA
and other duties, mostly because I couldn't write about the product until I
had learned how to use it.

In general, assuming I have time, I'm happy to do QA. Sterling
documentation isn't much good if the product lacks something, because in
the end it's the product that's evaluated by the user.