Re: Tangled Webs....

Subject: Re: Tangled Webs....
From: Bob Morse <morse -at- GLOBALDIALOG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 16:29:10 -0700

Dan 'Fergus' Roberts wrote:
> I may be offered a new position in my company, working with our customer
> support department to provide internal web pages containing diagnostics,
> troubleshooting information, and related information. ...
> Currently, I am working in
> our doc department to supply hardcopy doc and source doc for online and
> possibly web conversion ....

> I'm not sure which position has the potential for more career growth ....

If the Web job offers you the chance to learn Java, I'd say go for it. If
not, I'd call it a toss-up. ("Follow your bliss" --Joseph Campbell)

Java is a juicy new language that is already in good demand, and that most
folks expect to bloom even more over the next few years. If you don't
have any prior programming experience, Java's not a bad place to start
(obj-oriented), and once you've learned one language you can pick up
others pretty easily. (Java is VERY similar to C++.) Once you know some
programming, you'll have more options available to you; you'll be more
valuable as a tech-comm (if that's where you want to stay), but could
also change course and start writing the code instead of the docs.