Re: Tech Writer as Webmaster

Subject: Re: Tech Writer as Webmaster
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 10:53:30 EST

Steve Evanina said:

> I think our collective demand, and overall worth (read higher
> salaries) is about to take a jump.

> What do y'all think?

Steve...I hope so...Though when I assumed webmistress responsibilities here, in
addition to software and hardware manuals, I saw no increase. I also wonder
about the counter trend to webmaster claims, which is software that claims to be
plug and play. In other words, the software provides the forms--you just plug in
the information without having to understand anything else about how html/the
web works...I don't think this can be true, but I've not seen any of the
software. And it remains to be seen how successful the software marketeers are.
Desktop publishers have been successful enough in pushing the "anyone can do it"
theory...

Karla McMaster, technical writer
CTI PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com