Re: MS degree programs?

Subject: Re: MS degree programs?
From: Chuck Beck <cbeck -at- BGNET -dot- BGSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 12:35:45 -0400

Fellow TECHWR-Lers,
OK, OK, I *tried* to resist, but I couldn't. I originally sent this to
Brett privately, but all the other messages on this thread convinced me I
needed to go ahead and plug my choice of schools as well (just in case
anyone lurking out there might also be interested). I do believe this school
is one of the best in the country (of course, I could be biased).

If anyone wants to know more about BGSU after reading this (?!), please do
not hesitate to contact me privately.

Chas.Beck
cbeck -at- bgnet -dot- bgsu -dot- edu

Hi, Brett,

I'm a student in the master's degree program in Scientific and Technical
Communications (aka Tech Writing, locally) at Bowling Green State University
in Bowling Green, Ohio. I have been in the program for a year now, and from
what I can tell, it seems to be one of the best in the country.

The reason I say this?

You might consider for one thing our record of achievement and recognition
in the STC (Society of Technical Communications). Our student chapter of
STC won a Chapter Achievement Award at the recent STC national conference in
Seattle in May. All four of our Tech Writing faculty members presented at
the STC conference, some of them more than once. We also had students, both
undergrad and grad level, who presented at the conference. Our faculty
members are all published and well recognized in the field of technical
communications, and at least two of them have several books to their credit.
One is a fellow in the STC. This year, two of our students received special
honors at the national STC level, one being inducted into Sigma Tau Chi (the
STC honorary fraternity) and one receiving one of the Della A. Whitaker
Scholarships (one of only seven awarded nationally at the grad student
level). And I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

But you are probably -not- primarily interested in our honors and awards
(though I believe they are a fairly good indication of the quality of both
our faculty and students). The main reasons I like the program so much
include the following:
* We get a solid grounding in technical writing/editing practice and
theory while
* having the freedom to select and design our own area of expertise
within t.c.
* We serve an internship that serves as the basis for our practicum (in
lieu of a thesis) lecture;
* we also get valuable real-world work experience as technical
communicators in the process.
* We have state-of-the-art computers, software, and other facilities
with which to work.
* Classes are very small and intense. One class I was in last year may
be publishing a book on editing strategies for the 21st century. We get lots
of personalized attention and encouragement from the faculty.

There's more, but that hits the highlights. Our grads have gone on to do
some very impressive things in the world of technical writing. I invite you
to check out our STC Student Chapter Web page at
http://www.bgsu.edu/studentlife/organizations/stc/
We are also working on a Web page for the department (program) itself, but
so far we don't have one up and running for you to look at. Would you like
me to let you know when we do?

If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to try and answer them
for you. Don't hesitate to contact me. I wish you well in your search--and I
encourage you strongly to give BGSU a good look.