Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 23 Jul 1996 to 24 Jul 1996

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 23 Jul 1996 to 24 Jul 1996
From: Marilyn Barrett O'Leary <moleary -at- LSUVM -dot- SNCC -dot- LSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 08:31:29 +0100

Re: Frederic Wronecki
Subject: One doc for each user ?

You wrote:
>Ideally, a technical document should address one, and only one,
>category of users.

>But there are cases when a significant proportion of the
>information must be simultaneously provided to all the categories.

>It seems then difficult to compel writers (*) to design
>different documents if the common core represents the biggest
>part of each one.

There are several ways to approach an audience. You are thinking of
writing a document to servea particular audience by approaching them
according to their demographics or needs directly. You can also lead them
or stimulate them to assume a role in the process. When you write from
that angle, you can design the document for more than one category of
users. Marilyn

Marilyn Barrett O'Leary
Louisiana Sea Grant College Program
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-7507
504-388-6349
moleary -at- lsuvm -dot- sncc -dot- lsu -dot- edu