Re: Note-taking

Subject: Re: Note-taking
From: Marv Cochrane <cochrane -at- JOCASNEXT1 -dot- EGLIN -dot- AF -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 07:59:20 -0500

Susanne_Dupes@ wrote:

This is an interesting discussion. I would appear that views on
note-taking are as varied as everything else in the communication
field!

... skipped stuff ...

At our just concluded meeting in Sweden, new staff members who thought
note-taking would be a breeze were surprised at the difficulty level.
The Minutes we produce are usually 35 to 40 pages in final form. I
don't view this as a secretarial task. It actually requires high
level communication skills in effective listening, mental flexibility,
and being able to translate the information into a form easily
understood by an international audience.

Now, if anyone in the East Tennessee area is familiar with any
training in note-taking that our staff can attend, please let me know.

Susanne Dupes
Program Coordinator, Operating Agent Staff
Energy Technology Data Exchange
(susanne -dot- dupes -at- ccmail -dot- osti -dot- gov)

Thanks, Susan. I was waiting for someone to get it right. Preparing minutes is a complex, high-level task. If I am going to be asked to edit and publish minutes, I want to be at the meeting and work from my own notes first, then coordinate with others. However, if someone wanted a transcript of the meeting, I would suggest a tape and/or video recorder and a good typist.

Marv Cochrane
cochrane -at- jocasnext1 -dot- eglin -dot- af -dot- mil
cochrane -at- tsufl -dot- edu