note taking

Subject: note taking
From: "Sarah T. Harris" <STH -at- ALPHA -dot- SUNQUEST -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:19:23 -0700

I'm surprised at the lack of flaming retorts
on this topic.

How common is this practice? Personally, I went
to college because I didn't want to be a secretary
the rest of my life. Enlighten me here--are shorthand
and production typing part of tech comm
training nowadays? Should I expect to take a typing
speed test if I apply for a new job?

Perhaps you should look into voice-synthesizer
technology (electronic transcription). I have also
seen a white board that produces a thermal-process
hard copy.

I truly feel for you, Mr. Collier. I don't know your
age or experience level, but in my opinion you shouldn't
be saddled with this. I'd present a comparison of
costs to your project managers. If you have transcriptionists
or secretaries in your company, ask them how much time it
would take them to do what you've been doing. And if possible
ask their salaries. Put the info in a table with your statistics.
If necessary throw in your deadlines, a list of your projects,
your college degrees, etc.

Sarah Harris
technical writer not transcriptionist
Sunquest Information Systems Inc.