Re: Tridant true

Subject: Re: Tridant true
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 06:56:33 PDT

Ben Kovitz writes:

>I think this makes a great deal of sense. I don't know if I can get
>the client to agree, though, because "tridant" is also a common
>misspelling of "trident". They seem to think that the correct spelling
>would be the one found in a dictionary, and they're probably not aware
>that "tridant" is simply a *new word*, which of course you can't expect
>to find in the dictionary. Instead, you have to make recourse to the
>English language's principles of word-formation (and there are such
>rules, even though they're not often taught).

You don't need to prove anything by first principles. You can do this
by example: quadrant, sextant, octant, tridant. The first three are
in the dictionary; the last is constructed with the same tools.

I'd guess that the OED would even have a listing for tridant, but I
don't have a copy, and don't feel like driving to the library to check.
It might be worth YOUR time to do so, though. Few people have the
cojones to argue with the OED. Except us.

("Trident" means "three teeth," which is hardly relevant.)

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139