Re: USAGE: Two spaces after a full stop

Subject: Re: USAGE: Two spaces after a full stop
From: "Parks, Beverly L." <parksb -at- HUACHUCA-EMH7 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:12:00 MST

The original example:
>> <snip> I am of course fully aware of the traditions and rules of
typography, which by the way is based on traditions and experiences
far older than Gutenberg (see e.g. the beautiful old handwritten
Bibles, Korans, etc.) <snip> <<

"See, e.g., the beautiful old handwritten Bibles, Korans, etc." is a
complete sentence.

Arlen, if the text inside the parens is a complete sentence that ends
with a period, then an additional period after the closing paren isn't
necessary.

If, however, the text in the parens was "(Bibles, Korans, etc.)" *then* I
would consider the argument of requiring a full stop outside the closing
parenthesis.

But as long as we're talking about a complete sentence, it is just plain
wrong to double up the ending punctuation.

Bev
parksb -at- huachuca-emh7 -dot- army -dot- mil