Re[2]: Two spaces after a full stop

Subject: Re[2]: Two spaces after a full stop
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 13:23:00 -0600

It most certainly does count! Based on what you are saying, if there
were no parentheses in that sentence, you would end it as such:
"... Bibles, Korans, etc.." Two periods? I think not. That period
in the parens counts just as much as that same period if there were
no parens.

I had been deleting this subject on sight until someone recently pointed me
at it. Having read it, I'll toss in my nickel.

No, it doesn't. If there were no parens, then one period would end the
sentence, because you don't put two periods in succession, unless you're
building an elipsis. Think about it: if the last word inside the parens
wasn't an abbreviation, would you consider it appropriate (or even
acceptable) to put the sentence's concluding period *inside* the final
paren??

Because there's a paren after the first period, there should most certainly
be a second period, after the paren, to indicate a full stop. By the
original poster's logic (and I use the term *extremely* loosely) the two
spaces presented to us would serve as a replacement for the period, not as
a supplement to it.

But yes, Bev, the construction as given is awkward. (I suppose I shouldn't
be surprised at that, either.) A better construction for the sentence as
originally posted would be "...far older than Gutenberg. (For examples see
the beautiful old handwritten Bibles, Korans, etc.)" because it both
removes the somewhat arcane "e. g." and eliminates the "one period or two"
question.

I would further propose that anyone who *requires* two spaces to tell them
a sentence has recently ended is too clueless to be relied upon to read the
contents of that sentence accurately.

When I think of how many electrons have been jerked away from hearth and
home, family and friends, just to propagate this Thread of Eternal Nonsense
it makes me want to start a new charity: the Abused Electrons Relief Fund.

<Now, will someone compare the need for two spaces to Adolf Hitler, so we
can finally get *rid* of this thread?>

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224