Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 15 Jul 1996 to 16 Jul 1996

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 15 Jul 1996 to 16 Jul 1996
From: Marilyn Barrett O'Leary <moleary -at- LSUVM -dot- SNCC -dot- LSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 08:21:47 +0100

Re Michael Lastman's forbidden apostophes:

Michael, you can take all the technical advice we give, consult all the
style guides in the world, but the bottom line is: how bad do you want this
job? This editor apparently has two things you don't have: a need to
control and your boss's confidence. You won't get the boss's confidence by
disputing this, and you can't change the personality of this editor. You
might, over a long period, get both persons' confidence by complying,
asking for direction on which style guide to follow, and doing the best job
you can (with the chosen guide as a ruler) on every assignment. This is a
painful route and not guaranteed to ever result in change--I know, I've
tried it. The major problem is that you don't know the editor's real reason
for this edict nor do you know why your boss would agree to such an obtuse
request. It is very difficult to know other people's view of internal
office politics, levels of confidence, and views of you. You can't get
into their heads.

The ball is in your court. I go back to my original question: how bad do
you want this job? Personally, I would get my resume cleaned up and
circulating while I quietly complied with the request. Then, at the first
good opportunity, I would change my place of employment. Marilyn

Marilyn Barrett O'Leary
Louisiana Sea Grant College Program
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-7507
504-388-6349
moleary -at- lsuvm -dot- sncc -dot- lsu -dot- edu