Re: Space cadets, all.

Subject: Re: Space cadets, all.
From: Williams Diane <Williams_Diane -at- DOTE -dot- OSD -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 09:22:12 -0400

I remember the en-dash (or was that 'em-dash'?) wars, but even that was
not as noisy as this thread. It seems the more insignificant the
punctuation, the more worked-up people get over is <sigh>.<<

Do you know what I think style is? It's the ability to defend what you
do with a logical or reasonable explanation -- outright bluff! :-D

The only style rule that we really should follow is to be consistent.

Do you proponents of 2 spaces after a sentence also put 2 spaces after a
colon? If you always use hyphens in place of en dashes where en dashes
are oft to go, do you never use en dashes at all? How do you make em
dashes when using hyphens? One surrounded by spaces? Two surrounded by
no spaces? ...