Re: forbidden to apostrophize

Subject: Re: forbidden to apostrophize
From: Michal Lastman <michall -at- AKS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 19:12:25 +0200

The only other technical writer at my office has joined sides with the
editor who bans apostrophes. He says that contractions are a sign of
"sloppy" writing. He insists inanimate objects can't use an apostrophe to
show possessive because objects can't possess and for clarity and
consistency, I shouldn't use possessive forms with people's names either. He
referred me to the "Chicago Manual of Style" in which I have yet to find
such a rule but have instead found several examples that contradict him.
However my boss remains unconvinced.

It looks like I'll get out of making the changes to the upcoming version of
the manual only due to time constraints but in future documentation, the new
anti-apostrophe law rules.

Michal Lastman
Technical Communications
E-mail: michal -at- aks -dot- com

Aladdin Knowledge Systems Ltd. Ph# +972 3 6362222
P.O.Box 11141 Tel-Aviv 61110 Israel Fax# +972 3 5375796

Visit Our WWW Home Page! http://www.aks.com