ARE SECTIONS/CHAPTERS ALWAYS NEEDED?

Subject: ARE SECTIONS/CHAPTERS ALWAYS NEEDED?
From: Barbara Ridley <BRidley -at- USCCMAIL -dot- USCC -dot- BMS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:17:30 -0500

Hello all:

I am working on a project that involves documentation for a
production scheduling system. The internal clients want the
documentation short and sweet.

We have decided to document by task and not by system function.
However, tasks seem to be harder to group for this project. No
significant number of tasks seem to be related enough to put into
sections or chapters. For instance, I would normally group
things like adding, changing and deleting in an "Editing"
section.

My questions to the list:

Are sections and chapters always needed, or should I just put
tasks as main headings?

Is it enough to just list the tasks in a table of contents and
have one long continuous piece of documentation.

The scope of project looks like it could turn out to be 75 or
more pages (run front and back).

-- Barb --
bridley -at- usccmail -dot- bms -dot- com