Documentation in HTML--getting started

Subject: Documentation in HTML--getting started
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 16:00:54 -0700

Solveig asks...

>My question is, essentially, how does HTML documentation work? Is it like
>help, but without popups?

HTML has it's own distinct set of properties. It is _not_ like Windows
Help without popups (HTML let's you simulate pop-ups in at least two
ways anyway).

>Is it like printed documentation, but with actual links rather than simply
>telling the user to turn to another chapter for more information?

No. HTML documentation is better off closer to the Internet than to hard
copy (printed) documents. Several adjustments need to be made accordingly.

For example (and IMHO), HTML documents need to be more closely edited, because:

o Web page text area is much smaller
o Web readers don't like scrolling through long pages

>Any guidance I can get, including books to buy or samples to look at, would
>be most helpful.

William Horton's HTML Cookbook is pretty good. I'm also presenting a paper
on "Web Page Design for HTML And Friends" come September. It's copyrighted
by the IEEE, so I can't really put it out on the Web until after it's
presented. However,I'm willing to send you various slices (lots of theory).

But you're probably better off looking at samples on the Web. If you
e-mail me separately, I'll send a list of bookmarks from my own paper.

David (The Quaint) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus