Generic formats

Subject: Generic formats
From: John Glenn <sfarmh1 -at- SCFN -dot- THPL -dot- LIB -dot- FL -dot- US>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 17:24:57 -0400

Tom Beattie (<tombo -at- buttercup -dot- cybernex -dot- net>)has some Multimate
files that need to be moved into Word. I suggested Word for
Word but now find that the current V (7)fails to list Multimate.
If I can find an old DOS V of W4W, maybe we can work our way to
WinWord ... however, it will be a long, if-fy road.

Which is why I preach SAVE IN A GENERIC FORMAT .

Who would'a thunk Multimate would *disappear?* It was a pretty
good app with a fair sized user base. But it is gone.
On the other hand, RTF still is around. Likewise ascii.
Maybe the preferred SAVE AS format today might be html ... true,
it is hardly as robust as Word, but you CAN convert html into
word processor styles.

Something to think about as you consider archiving those million
dollar files.

john glenn <sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us>