[no subject]

From: "Dimock, Dick" <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- NCR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 17:38:00 PDT

<Periods had two spaces after them, >

Why is this a problem? Leaving 2 spaces after a period at the end of a
sentence seems to be a sensible way of improving readability. Or is =
this
an old typist's habit that the computer age has solved somehow?

And someone replied:

>Yes, it is an old typist's habit!

Dick sez:

It's an old tech writer's habit also! In the days of genuine cut 'n paste,
having that extra space between sentences gave you just that much
more flexibility in trimming up the paste piece. Just part of the tech
writing art in those days.

I still carry the habit of two spaces after the period. space space It does
mess me up on Frame, which burps and makes me remove my extra
space. space space even at the para end

Regards,

Dick Dimock Artfully Senior Tech Writer at

NCR Corporation which don't make cash registers
no more, in lovely

El Segundo, CA, USA where there is an actual
shortage of tech writers! Not
uncommon for pubs bosses
to roll out the red carpet, pay
for coffee, even a burger,