Re: Electronic books -- info needed

Subject: Re: Electronic books -- info needed
From: Tiffany Crotogino Munoz <Crotogino-Munoz_Tiffany/CORP_LABS -at- CST -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 14:58:51 -0400

--- Begin Message ---

To: techwr_l -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu

> I have been given the task of finding a way to
publish our software
> manuals electronically. Management is not
interested in Web publishing
> so I have restricted my search to packages
that will enable us to output
> to CD ROM and ship a licensed browser to our
customers.

> So far I have found out about DynaText, Folio
and Inforium. Can anyone
> give me the names of other packages? I would
appreciate any info.
> Thanks!

We are starting to use Adobe Acrobat for this.
What I particularly like is that their reader is
freely distributable and available for Mac,
Windows, DOS and UNIX, which allows us a great
deal of flexibility (I do not know the other
packages you have mentioned, so I cannot
comment.)

So far I have been quite impressed with what I
have been able to use, and it's ease of use.
(Make a PostScript file of your doc, put it
through the Acrobat distiller, out comes your
electronic doc. Then you can add various bells
and whistles to it, make it non-printing,
password protect it, etc., etc.).

Please note: I say this only because I like and
use the product: I have no other affiliation
with Adobe.

Tiffany Crotogino Munoz
Technical Writer
CS&T
Montreal, QC Canada
tiffany -at- cst -dot- ca

My opinions are mine, not the company's. If they
want to share them, that's fine. If they don't,
that's fine, too.