Re: Word to Frame conversions

Subject: Re: Word to Frame conversions
From: "Glanbrok, Slayer of Bluntskulls" <conehead -at- OVERTHE -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:00:27 -0400

Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- sugar-land -dot- oilfield -dot- slb -dot- com> wrote:

>>I do contract work for an organization that edits in Word 5.1 and then
>>imports to Frame. We have to strip out all the special characters (quite a
>>few) and certain formatting (e.g., bold, italics, tabs) with macros that
>>replace these features with the Frame codes. Otherwise, conversion of the
>>imported documents from Word usually fails.

Randy Grandle replied:

>Frame supports most special characters and symbols, bolding, italics,
>and tabs. Why do you need to use macros to convert these features from
>Word 5.1 to Frame?

Word 5.1 is a DOS app, right? Even so, it has the ability to record macros. In the bad old days before we had a single platform (e.g. Windows) and standard filetypes (e.g. RTF), we were sometimes faced with converting VP files to wordprocessing. This necessitated stripping the Ventura codes and/or replacing them with Word codes. I was able to streamline this dorky process fairly well with some macros.