best documentation

Subject: best documentation
From: David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 15:52:57 -0600

Hi everybody,

I am putting together a collection of documentation examples
for my students. As I began wading through software manuals
and instruction guides, it occurred to me that you might
have valuable opinions. IMVHO the worst commercial
documentation I ever saw was put out by Wildcat back in
1993. It was basically unreadable and unusable--even the
index was completely wrong (it didn't match the book). More
recently, Asymetrix took the title with their documentation
for Toolbook 3.0. 4.0 is better.

The best documentation I ever saw was for an obscure company
that made computer tables. It began with "Go get a cup of
coffee, this is a one cup of coffee project."

My question is this:
Where can I find the very best and worst examples of
documentation?

What, in your opinions, make them good or bad?

Thanks. . .

Dave Hailey
Here at USU