A -dot- Mottershead -at- globalcomm -dot- co -dot- uk

Subject: A -dot- Mottershead -at- globalcomm -dot- co -dot- uk
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 14:19:58 -0700

Andrew Mottershead asks...

>1. I have been using Frame for several years. I recently started a new =
>job and the preferred tool is Word. Unfortunately, Word does not seem to =
>be particularly good for producing large documents.

I agree. I believe that lots of other Tech Writer's do too. Word just
doesn't have anything remotely approximating Frame's book facility.

>2. How do you convert Frame files to HTML.

There are multiple ways of doing this, or you could convert Frame-->Word-->
HTML (and stop at Word6 for other files).

?Does Frame 5 include a built = HTML filter(capable of converting text,
>tables, graphics, etc.)?

Frame 5 includes a brain-dead HTML filter that does some of above. Don't
use it! I did and it's junk.

Try WebMaker 2.0 by Harlequin (www.harlequin.com/webmaker).

>Or, would I = be better off persevering with Word and take advantage
>of MS Internet = tools (such as FrontPage)?

I was not impressed with the MS tool set. If you're using Word, try
using rtftohtml. I've got an alpha version of the rtftohtml 3.0 and
am interested in getting The Real Thing. See http://www.sunpack.com/RTF/

BTW, the rtftohtml 3.0 alpha worked far better than the MS equivalent
Beta... which proceeded to goof translating headers on my first attempt,
then bozoed my tables when I saved the file.

Get rtftohtml. It's the same price as MS (free) ... and it works.

Hope this helps.

David (The Unbiased) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus