Converting Ventura

Subject: Converting Ventura
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 13:14:09 -0400

Beth asks:
> Does anyone know if it's possible to convert a document written in
> Ventura to _ANYTHING_ else? Even ASCII would be fine!

> Thanks in advance.

Ventura keeps documents in ASCII (or in the language of the word-processor
that produced them). It adds formatting tags in angle brackets. The
documents remain editable in the wp that produced them.

If the document is old enough Beth may be faced with something that was
written in WordStar. This was an excellent program in its day, but I don't
remember a single filter that made a good job of converting it to any of the
programs that replaced it.

If the worst comes to the worst open the files with any program that claims
to work with ASCII files, even a Microsoft Applet, and delete everything but
the text

David (the certified idiot in Toronto) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
133 Wilton St, #506, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5A 4A4
Phone (416) 363-6692 Fax (416) 363-4987

The great tragedy of Science -- the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an
ugly fact. ----T.H. Huxley