Re: R/W permission for Word master doc.

Subject: Re: R/W permission for Word master doc.
From: Anushree Tewari <anushree -at- RIVERRUN -dot- ERNET -dot- IN>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 14:39:46 IST

Hi everyone,

John Hacunda <jhacunda -at- IDS -dot- NET> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to change the read/write permissions globally
>on a master document created using Word 6.0?

I have found a way of getting past this which I'll describe.

Yes, you are right about the read/write permission being only with
the creator of the master document and subdocuments. Word picks up this info.
from the 'User' tab under Options.

I password protected my master doc. from the 'Save' tab since I wanted to
limit access and then asked the people who wanted to edit docs. to change the
'user info' to what I wanted before opening the master doc. In this
situation, when the master doc. is opened, the password needs to be entered.
May be, just keeping the same 'user info'may work fine, but I haven't yet had
the occasion to try that.

BTW, I faced a lot of problems with a 90 page doc. of mine which was based
on this feature; it contained a lot of graphics. Most of the times Word is OK.
I've read a lot about Frame, let's see when I can get it.

I hope I'v helped.

Anushree Tewari
e-mail: anushree -at- riverrun -dot- ernet -dot- in