Submission/Submittal

Subject: Submission/Submittal
From: "Daniel E. Wise" <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 10:12:54 -0700

Colleagues,

Kathy Fisher asked for comments on the difference between the two
terms. How much of a purist do you want to be?

In a really, really, really pure form, submission connotes subjugation
or something close to it. Submittal connotes delivery of something,
such as a manuscript, to someone, such as a publisher.

Since I was brought up in the Old School, I still like the difference.
Your submission to a professor might have erotic overtones while your
submittal could never be so construed.

Of couse, this goes along with the general evolution/devolution of the
language. Do what you think is right.

Dan Wise

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "The reward of a thing well done is to have
done it," but I'd still rather be paid. ;-)