Re[2]: Information Mapping

Subject: Re[2]: Information Mapping
From: Mike Sechelski <msechelski -at- HOU -dot- SPERRY-SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 11:34:35 -0500

Bill,

You're right..."we're NOT here to entertain the reader"...but that has
nothing to do with technical writing having clarity, format,
presentation, and APPEAL so that a reader will WANT to read it to find
the information they need.

Mike Sechelski
msechelski -at- hou -dot- sperry-sun -dot- com

Subject: Re: Information Mapping
Author: XBJH%mimi -at- MAGIC -dot- ITG -dot- TI -dot- COM at Internet-Mail
Date: 6/27/96 10:02 AM

From: Bill Hartzer XBJH

Subj: Re: Information Mapping
Tim Altom recently said the following regarding Info. Mapping,
referring to Technical Writing:

"... For one thing, it's boring, repetitious and sterile.
It's too hard to interest a reader while using it, a fact that
Info Mapping Inc. has turned into a virtue, saying that we
shouldn't even think about "entertaining the reader." I read that
to say "don't bother about making the reader interested in what
you have to say." That's a classically arrogant writer's
statement from someone who doesn't have to read the stuff...."

Welcome to the world of Technical Writing, Tim! We're _NOT_ here
to entertain the reader. As Technical Writers, we're here to get
the information a reader needs to them in the shortest amount of
time while making it easy for them to understand. If our readers
need entertainment, they should read a John Grisham novel, _NOT_ a
User's Guide. Technical Writing is _NOT_ entertainment writing. It
never has been and never should be. If Technical Writing was entertaining
reading, 99 percent of Americans would know how to program their VCRs!

Regards,
Bill Hartzer Bill Hartzer
Contract Tech Writer President
Texas Instruments, Inc. Highfield Marketing Group, Inc.
Dallas, TX USA Irving, TX USA
xbjh -at- msg -dot- ti -dot- com Highfield -at- aol -dot- com
"Highfield Marketing Group, Inc. is the proud maker of the CD-ROM
TalentBank(tm), an electronically searchable resume database full of
quality professionals in the computer, high-tech, and technical writing
industries. Never a fee for applicants. Employers and recruiters
can search thousands of resumes electronically on their desktops while
applicants can reach thousands of employers with their resume."