Re: Pagemaker 6

Subject: Re: Pagemaker 6
From: Patty Ewy <pewy -at- ICONTROL -dot- ANZA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:50:29 -0600

Virginia L. Krenn wrote:

> I've just installed Pagemaker 6 and want to know if there are any quirks
> that I should be aware of. Are those of you who are using this product
> having any problems with it?

> I used the automatic conversion on a pm5 file. The document remained
> intact; but all of the header and footer info was lost. Is this
> consistent with what other users are experiencing?

Hi Virginia--

We have seven tech writers at my company who are using PageMaker 6 on
PowerMacs to create all our user manuals and most of our marketing
materials. I can't speak for the others in the group, but I am a big PageMaker
fan ('though sometimes I think wistfully of some of the features I've heard are
available with FrameMaker...)

I've only found one problem with PM6, and that is if you are generating a table
of contents or index. In our manuals, we use callouts extensively and I had put
index tags in all the headings for those callouts. Then I used the "Group"
feature, so I could move the graphic and all its related text around as needed.
I found that if you leave the items grouped, then move them to a different
page, the updated page number is not reflected in the table of contents or
index. (So if you just remember to ungroup everything, both the TOC and the
index work just fine.) I've written to the folks at Adobe about this, but I
haven't had any response.

Hope you enjoy using PageMaker.

Patty Ewy
pewy -at- icontrol -dot- anza -dot- com