Big monitors

Subject: Big monitors
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 20:35:43 -0700

I've been trying to buy a monitor in the 17" to 21" range for a few weeks
now. I don't mean to single any store out, but for a spoof of one of the
places I went to, check out http://www.best.com/~braith/frys.htm It
unfairly targets people who don't speak English well -- some of the
stupidest sales personnel I encountered were obviously native speakers --
but mostly it rings true.

I have gone to huge and small places -- some specializing in computers, some
covering the gamut of electronics. I have seen a variety of large monitors
displayed, some with signs proclaiming 1600 by 1200 resolution, but not one
has been attached to a video card with more than 2 meg of memory.

I saw a 21" monitor running at 640 by 480 pixels, and when I tried to change
the resolution from the Windows95 control panel, every other resolution
choice was greyed -- apparently because it was running with standard VGA
video and didn't have any other drivers installed.

I have walked into store after store, ready to buy, and walked out again
with my money in my pocket.

I'd be perfectly happy to buy another monitor like the one I have -- Mag
Innovision -- but nobody carries them, and the manual that came with it
doesn't have a US address or any phone number, let alone a URL.

So if anyone's had any luck buying large-screen monitors, please let me know
your secret.

Thanks. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Freelance Technical Writer
srm -at- c2 -dot- org Copyright 1996 Review Editor, IEEE Micro
http://www.c2.org/~srm/ All rights reserved President, Berkeley STC