Re: Wordiness and Complete Sentences

Subject: Re: Wordiness and Complete Sentences
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 15:46:38 -0400

John Russell wrote:

>I am leaning toward reworking a significant portion of the manual in
>favor of incomplete sentences where appropriate/useful/necessary.

>What would/do you do? Agree? Disagree? Thoughts? Comments?

Personally, I -like- bulleted lists, numbered lists, and task tables for
any type of instructional material (and I consider manuals to be
instructional materials). BUT there are certain chunks of manuals that
don't conveniently fit into such rigid, step-by-step structures. And
-any- formatting trick becomes very boring after a few hundred pages. Why
not use a combination approach like this one?

This is a description of the task and what it is used for xxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

To get from point A to point B:
o step 1
o step 2
o step 3
o step 4

Procedure X is also useful for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx (see Section YY).

@Kat _______________________________ katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Kat Nagel MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY
Technical writing / Document design / Information services

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net